HOME 

Eaton Square Residents Association - ESRA

 George Waite, is a long-term resident of Eaton Square and has for the last six years been the Chairman of ESRA. George was a founding member of the Belgravia Society. He recognised the need to have a strong voice for the residents of Eaton Square to deal with the many issues arising with Grosvenor. ESRA was formed as a sub-group of the Belgravia Society and remains so today.

 ESRA is recognised by Grosvenor as the residents committee for those who own and rent property in the Square and they are all members of the Belgravia Society.

 George has regular meetings with Grosvenor to deal with such things as the annual accounts for service charges and issues relating to the service charge itself.

 George also chairs the Eaton Square Garden Committee.

 Eaton Square is a residential garden square in Belgravia. It is one of the three garden squares built by the Grosvenor family when they developed the main part of Belgravia in the 19th century, and named after Eaton Hall, the Grosvenor country house in Cheshire. Eaton Square is larger, but less grand than the central feature of Belgravia, Belgrave Square, and both larger and grander than Chester Square. The first block of Eaton Square was laid out by Thomas Cubitt from 1827.

 The houses in Eaton Square are large, predominantly three windows wide, joined in regular terraces and classical style and have substantial porticos. They have four or five main storeys, plus attics and basements with mews houses to the rear. The square is one of Londonís largest and is divided into six separate gardens by the upper end of Kings Road (North East of Sloane Square), a main road, now busy with traffic, that occupies its long axis, and to smaller cross streets. Most of the houses are faced with white stucco, but some are faced with brick. Most are now divided into flats.

 At the east end of the Square is St Peterís, a large church. It is built in classic style, which features a six columned Ionic portico and a clock tower. It was designed by Henry Hakewill and built between 1824 and 1827 during the first development of Eaton Square